This idea occurred to me when I came across a video on Instagram where someone tried designing their future room from a 2d diagram. Then as usual was searching for similar content on youtube and figured out a tutorial which isn’t much of a help but was a starting point though.
Ok. So if you have come across oculus you might have seen 2 types of boundary
- Stationary Boundary
Here I wanted to use RoomScale so I can wander around in my room in both worlds. So first I have to measure my room in the real world and start designing it in Unity. I used the measure app from Apple ( I used it in several other projects and the accuracy is better than other apps).
- Draw a simple room sketch in a note, I preferred a plane long note so I can sketch freely. Do the Line drawing of your room along with the objects present.
- Then i took a picture probably scan it via the notes app and upload the image to unity so we can draw a 3d version from it.
- I used Unity ProBuilder to design a 3D scene from the sketch. (Detailed tutorial of Probuilder Coming soon)
- Now you have the basic structure of the room Try adding all the 3d models similar to the rooms. I used sites like UnityAsssets, sketchfab, free3d and CGTrader. Placed it in right place and try playing it in Unity.
- Now time for Oculus Integration, as explained earlier in my previous blog following all the steps. I have my kit ready. This time i used OculusIntegrationSampleCameraRig which has all functionalities included.
- I removed the Ray Interactor and added Hand interaction to make it cooler.
- Now try running it in Unity you might have the basic room design, which won't be much of a game. To make that happen I used lighting wherever I can and added particles.
- Now it started getting a vibe.
- Add music and small 3D Model interaction like moving books, Scribbling on a whiteboard and playing a video in Monitor.
- From here I planned to add some secret objects hidden somewhere to use in the room and make it more Intractable.
Here is a small glimpse of the making video. Hope you all like it.
Code available on Github.
Follow me on other social networks too.
If you like my post and wanna see more support me ☕️